Former Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan was wounded when his anti-government protest convoy got here beneath assault within the east of the nation.
Former Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan was shot in his leg at a Wazirabad rally on Thursday.
Listed here are the main points.
- Khan was shot in his proper shin on Thursday, at 4:21 pm native time (11:21GMT), when his anti-government protest convoy got here beneath assault. His life was not at risk.
- Six others, together with one other politician, Faisal Javed Khan, have been additionally injured. Certainly one of Khan’s supported died after sustaining bullet wounds.
- “This isn’t solely an assassination try on Imran Khan however an assault on Pakistan itself,” Fawad Chaudhry, a spokesperson for Khan’s Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf [PTI] get together, mentioned on Twitter.
- Khan was taken to a hospital in Lahore after the assault. A health care provider mentioned there have been bullet fragments in his leg and his tibia bone was chipped.
- Earlier, movies circulating on social media confirmed him waving to the gang after being evacuated from his car.
— PTI (@PTIofficial) November 3, 2022
The place did it occur?
- The assault came about in Wazirabad, practically 200km (124 miles) from the capital, Islamabad.
- For the previous week, Khan has been main a protest march to Islamabad to demand snap elections.
Why did it occur?
- The id of the gunman, who was arrested by police, was not instantly made clear. No group has claimed duty.
- TV channels confirmed a person they mentioned was a suspected shooter, who in his twenties or thirties. He mentioned he needed to kill Khan and had acted alone.
- “He [Khan] was deceptive the folks, and I couldn’t bear it,” the suspect mentioned within the video. The data minister confirmed the footage was recorded by police.
What’s the broader context?
- Khan’s authorities was eliminated in April this 12 months by means of a parliamentary vote of no confidence. Since then, Khan has been holding rallies throughout the nation, demanding early elections.
- The parliamentary transfer put him amongst a protracted checklist of elected Pakistani prime ministers who did not see their full phrases – none has completed so since independence in 1947.
- In response, Khan started his “Lengthy March” on October 28 from Lahore. The march was anticipated to succeed in Islamabad on November 11.
- In keeping with analysts, Khan’s capturing underscored rising political instability in Pakistan, with the federal government and the previous chief refusing to again down from their positions.
- “The query that’s being requested time and again is that if we’re a parliamentary system, and if that is to be a civilian authorities, then let the electoral course of proceed, let the nation go to common elections,” mentioned Asad Rahim Khan, a political analyst based mostly in Lahore.
- “And what we’re seeing when it comes to the general public’s lack of religion, I worry, might be exacerbated by at present’s assassination try,” he added.
- Al Jazeera’s correspondent in Pakistan Abid Hussain mentioned, “Whereas Khan himself has been hinting at bloodshed throughout his lengthy march, this assault displays the rising discontentment within the nation.
- “It’ll solely enhance stress on the federal government, which has been accused by the PTI of eager to take away Khan by any means essential.
- “Khan has himself mentioned a number of instances in the previous couple of months that his life is at risk,” he added.
The ocean of individuals alongside our March on the GT Street. For six months I’ve been witnessing a revolution taking on the nation. Solely query is will or not it’s a comfortable one by means of the poll field or a damaging one by means of bloodshed? pic.twitter.com/CeVdRVp9ON
— Imran Khan (@ImranKhanPTI) October 31, 2022
What occurred to the attacker?
- Info Minister Murriyam Aurangzeb mentioned police arrested the suspected gunman on the scene.
- An interrogation was beneath manner, he added.
- Police additionally cordoned off the scene to hold out forensic work.
What’s the newest on the bottom?
- Al Jazeera’s Kamal Hyder, reporting from Islamabad, mentioned “appreciable anger” is mounting within the streets within the aftermath of Imran Khan’s capturing.
- “We’re getting preliminary experiences of protesters blocking roads, burning tyres, and this might escalate into one thing huge,” he added.
- Arifa Noor, a political analyst in Pakistan, expressed shock on the assault.
- “No person anticipated it to be like this, to have gunshots fired at a former prime minister, contemplating, simply again in 2007, we misplaced a extremely popular chief by means of this sort of violence,” Noor informed Al Jazeera.
- “Proper now, there may be a direct response from supporters of Pakistan’s Tehreek-e-Insaf, and it’s an aggressive response. However hopefully, as soon as the management recovers from the shock … they may attempt to hold their supporters calm and forestall the form of violence that broke out in Pakistan when Benazir Bhutto was assassinated again in 2007.”
What have been the reactions?
- Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif issued a press release condemning the incident and requested authorities to instantly launch an investigation.
Federal authorities will lengthen all assist essential to Punjab govt for safety & investigation. Violence should not have any place in our nation’s politics. 2/2 https://t.co/LWMUW03kQb
— Shehbaz Sharif (@CMShehbaz) November 3, 2022
- The military additionally denounced the capturing. “Honest prayers for treasured life misplaced and speedy restoration and properly being of Chairman PTI Mr Imran Khan and all these injured on this unlucky incident,” it mentioned in a press release.
- “Strongly condemn heinous assassination try on ex-PM of Pakistan, the courageous @ImranKhanPTI,” Pakistan President Arif Alvi mentioned on Twitter.
Heinous assassination try on the courageous @ImranKhanPTI I thank Allah that he’s secure however injured with few bullets in his leg & hopefully non-critical. This assault is surprising, alarming, disgraceful, deceitful & cowardly. Could Allah give him well being & to all these injured.
— Dr. Arif Alvi (@ArifAlvi) November 3, 2022
- “It’s a growth that simply came about. We’re intently maintaining a tally of, and we’ll proceed to watch ongoing developments,” Indian exterior affairs ministry spokesman Arindam Bagchi mentioned.
- Former Pakistan Cricket captain Wasim Akram mentioned he was deeply disturbed whereas calling the nation to face collectively.
Deeply disturbed in regards to the occasions unfolding in Wazirabad . Our prayers with Imran BHAI and everybody there. We as a rustic should come collectively and never permit anybody to distort our nationwide unity.
— Wasim Akram (@wasimakramlive) November 3, 2022