UN special rapporteur says Israeli strikes on Gaza are ‘illegal’ | Israel-Palestine conflict News

Francesca Albanez calls on the United Nations to research whether or not Israel has breached worldwide legislation and guarantee accountability.

The United Nations particular rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian territories says Israel’s air raids on the besieged Gaza Strip “not solely are unlawful however irresponsible”, calling for a diplomatic resolution to the most recent bout of violence, which started on Friday when Israel launched air assaults on Gaza Metropolis.

“The state of affairs in Gaza is on the verge of a humanitarian disaster,” Francesca Albanez advised Al Jazeera.

“The one approach to safe the wellness of Palestinians wherever they’re is to raise the siege and permit assist to enter.”

Israel has characterised the assault as a “preemptive” act of self-defence in opposition to the Palestinian Islamic Jihad group and mentioned its operation may final per week.

Albanez blasted america for saying that it believed Israel had the best to defend itself. “Israel can not declare that it’s defending itself on this battle,” Albanez mentioned.

The US ambassador to Israel, Tom Nides, wrote on Twitter on Friday: “The USA firmly believes that Israel has a proper to guard itself. We’re participating with totally different events and urge all sides for calm.”

His remarks have been echoed by British International Secretary Liz Truss, who mentioned the UK “stands by Israel and its proper to defend itself”, and condemned the “terrorist teams firing at civilians and violence which has resulted in casualties on either side”.

At the least 31 Palestinians have been killed in Gaza and 260 injured since Friday. No severe casualties had been reported on the Israeli aspect as of Sunday, because the Iron Dome defence system shot down 97 % of missiles launched from the besieged strip, in accordance with its navy.

“Safety is one thing I demanded in Palestine, and that’s not me alone. It’s mandatory … to guard civilian lives,” Albanez mentioned. “[Israel] can’t be defending itself from civilians since 1967.”

The particular rapporteur, who’s an unbiased skilled liable for monitoring human rights violations within the occupied Palestinian territories and referring them to the UN, referred to as on the worldwide physique to determine whether or not worldwide legislation had been breached in Gaza and guarantee accountability.

“I imagine lack of accountability strengthens Israel,” Albanez mentioned. “I see ending occupation as the answer.”

An unbiased fee of inquiry arrange by the UN Human Rights Council after a brutal struggle in Gaza in Might 2021 mentioned Israel should do extra than simply “ending the occupation” of land that Palestinian leaders need for a future state.

“Ending the occupation alone is not going to be adequate,” the report printed in June discovered. It added that motion should be taken to make sure the equal enjoyment of human rights for Palestinians.

Nevertheless, it cited proof that Israel had “no intention of ending the occupation” however was as an alternative pursuing “full management” of the territories taken in 1967.

The fee discovered the Israeli authorities to have been “performing to change the demography by way of the upkeep of a repressive atmosphere for Palestinians and a beneficial atmosphere for Israeli settlers”.

The US give up the Council in 2018 citing “continual bias” in opposition to Israel and totally rejoined solely this 12 months.

In Might 2021, an 11-day-long navy offensive on Gaza killed greater than 260 Palestinians and injured over 2,000. 13 individuals have been killed in Israel.

BBC probe suggests Afghanistan war crimes by UK special forces | Investigation News

At the very least 54 Afghans have been killed by British particular forces in suspicious circumstances through the 2010-11 Helmand tour.

Commandos in the UK’s elite Particular Air Service (SAS) corps killed a minimum of 54 Afghans in suspicious circumstances throughout a six-month tour of Helmand province from November 2010 to Could 2011, however the navy chain of command hid considerations, in keeping with a BBC media community investigation.

Unarmed Afghan males have been routinely shot useless “in chilly blood” by SAS troops throughout night-time raids through the lengthy struggle in Afghanistan, and weapons have been planted on them to justify the crimes, the four-year inquiry discovered.

Senior officers, together with Normal Mark Carleton-Smith, who headed the UK Particular Forces on the time, have been conscious of considerations inside the SAS concerning the operations however did not report them to navy police, the BBC mentioned on Tuesday.

Beneath UK regulation governing the armed forces, it’s a felony offence for a commanding officer to fail to tell the navy police in the event that they develop into conscious of potential struggle crimes, the BBC famous.

Carleton-Smith, who retired final month as head of the British military general, declined to remark to the BBC programme Panorama, which mentioned its investigation was based mostly on court docket paperwork, leaked emails and its personal journalists’ journey to websites of the operations in Afghanistan.

The Ministry of Defence mentioned prior investigations into the conduct of UK forces in Afghanistan discovered inadequate proof to deliver prices.

“No new proof has been offered, however the service police will think about any allegations ought to new proof come to mild,” it mentioned in a press release to the BBC.

“The UK armed forces served with braveness and professionalism in Afghanistan and we’ll at all times maintain them to the very best requirements.”

Police ‘obstructed’

The Panorama investigation, airing in full on Tuesday night, recognized 54 folks shot useless in suspicious circumstances by one SAS unit through the tour of Helmand province.

After-action experiences confirmed different officers have been shocked on the excessive casualty fee being inflicted by the unit, when not one of the SAS troops reported accidents in obvious firefights with Taliban fighters.

“Too many individuals have been being killed on evening raids and the reasons didn’t make sense. As soon as any individual is detained, they shouldn’t find yourself useless,” one senior officer at particular forces headquarters informed Panorama.

“For it to occur time and again was inflicting alarm at HQ. It was clear on the time that one thing was improper.”

There was explicit concern that SAS bullet holes discovered on the scene of Afghan residential compounds after the raids have been all low down – indicating that suspects have been kneeling or inclined on the bottom.

A number of warnings have been relayed up the chain of command, the BBC mentioned. However the SAS squadron was allowed to complete its six-month tour – and was deployed for an additional in 2012.

In 2014, the Royal Army Police launched an investigation into greater than 600 alleged offences by British forces in Afghanistan, together with a lot of killings by the SAS squadron.

However RMP investigators informed the BBC that they have been “obstructed” by the British navy, and the investigation resulted in 2019.

Colonel Oliver Lee, who was commander of the Royal Marines in Afghanistan in 2011, informed the programme that the allegations have been “extremely surprising” and merited a full public inquiry.